Many years ago, when I was still in high school, we watched a little film about a girl named Genie, who basically grew up with virtually no human contact. I think we were studying how humans learn language, and the premise of the film (and Genie’s story) was that since she had little to no human contact, she had little to no opportunities to develop any kind of comprehensible language. She also had a number of other odd behaviors likely owing to her time spent trapped alone in a house, and although you can read about her, it’s not a particularly uplifting story, as she basically spent time after her discovery being studied, then the rest of her life institutionalized. It really does hammer home how when certain critical windows in human development close, sometimes they close for good.
Angela B Chrysler, who wrote a guest post here not long ago about the psychology behind character creation, recently wrote a new book, Broken, that reminded me of Genie’s story, at least when I read the back cover blurb she sent me. I mean, check out for yourself:
Speaking of which, check out this cover:
Doesn’t that look like an image right out of an Edgar Allen Poe story?
According to the author, Broken can appeal easily to readers of genres such as memoirs, psychology, thriller, and romance, though, in her words, it is best described as a “macabre memoir and psychology/trauma” tale.
You can find out more @ http://www.angelabchrysler.com/books/broken/
And, if you enjoy what you’ve seen so far, the book can be purchased at Amazon for the Kindle here or any of the pics above.
Angela B. Chrysler is a writer, logician, and die-hard nerd who studies philosophy, theology, historical linguistics, music composition, and medieval European history in New York with a dry sense of humor and an unusual sense of sarcasm. She lives in a garden with her family and cats.
You can read more of Ms. Chrysler’s writing and accomplishments at http://www.angelabchrysler.com/
- Signup for the mailing list!
- Website: https://13thhr.wordpress.com
- Art: http://13thhr.deviantart.com/gallery,http://www.wipnation.com/citizen/13thhr
- Book trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hpcIUpwTiFY
- Listen to a free podcast of the book: https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/the-thirteenth-hour-audio/id955932074
- Download two free shorts in The Thirteenth Hour universe here: https://13thhr.wordpress.com/2015/03/19/two-new-thirteenth-hour-stories-are-now-out/
- Purchase The Thirteenth Hour for Kindle at http://www.amazon.com/The-Thirteenth-Hour-Joshua-Blum/dp/1505792673/ref=as_sl_pc_tf_til?tag=thethihou-20&linkCode=w00&linkId=UDBZIFI4NFSPCHG6&creativeASIN=1505792673
- Purchase a print copy at https://www.createspace.com/5202564
- Interested in a free electronic copy of the book? Just email me at firstname.lastname@example.org more details!