Episode #37: Prince – In Memory and Guest Q & A with Fantasy Author Kelly St. Clare
Before we get to the podcast today, a note on Prince’s passing. It took me three tries of recording the intro to not sound totally down in the dumps, so I apologize in advance if I sound more sedate.
* I refer to interviews Prince did in the podcast – they were rare, but you can find some on youtube. This is part of a thoughtful interview where he talks about mentorship, having high standards held to you, and the value of persistence. Good talk!
Prince was one of those people who a true artist in every sense of the word – difficult to categorize, independent, someone who paved his own way. Though many tried to emulate him later, he was always a hard performer to cover. There was always such a unique flair to the multi-instrumentalist from Minnesota with such range to his voice and the presence and swagger to pull off wearing heels and ruffled shirts. So, Prince, truly, “Nothing Compares 2 U.” He was his own man and showed us what it meant to be an individual in a world where conformity ultimately often becomes the path of least resistance for most people.
So long, thank you, and may the rain color purple coming down from the heavens.
#RIPPrince – click on the photo above for an extended live version of “Purple Rain.”
On a happier note, welcome, Kelly and your readers, to the podcast. Kelly St. Clare and her books have been featured on this blog a number of times (e.g. see her post on her experiences with Thunderclap). It was also Kelly who suggested George Sirois, who was on last week, for the show – so thank you. (That show, which I think is the longest yet, can be found here). For those of you who may be new to her work, here’s a link to an interview she did to give you more info.
Click on Kelly’s photo above to be taken to her Goodreads profile.
The last clip of the song I’m working on now, “Song of an Unsung Hero” (which takes its name from a poem in the novel, The Thirteenth Hour), has lyrics here. Stay tuned for more info in the coming weeks!
Thanks for listening!
- Signup for the mailing list for a free special edition podcast and a demo copy of The Thirteenth Hour!
- Follow The Thirteenth Hour’s instagram pages: @the13thhr and @the13thhr.ost for your daily weekday dose of ninjas, martial arts bits, archery, flips, breakdancing action figures, fantasy art, 80s music, movies, and occasional pictures or songs from The Thirteenth Hour books.
- Website: https://13thhr.wordpress.com
- Book trailer: http://bit.ly/1VhJhXY
- Interested in reading and reviewing The Thirteenth Hour for a free book? Just email me at email@example.com for more details!