Episode #72: The Creation of “There’s a Wild Heart Beating”
This week, we’re going behind the scenes to look at the creation of a new song I’m working on at the moment called “There’s a Wild Heart Beating.” It’s for the as-of-yet unnamed sequel to The Thirteenth Hour and is something I’ve been working on for the past few months. If you’ve followed along on the soundtrack Instagram page, you may have caught a few brief previews. The premise of the song is that one of the characters in the sequel is looking back on the life she created and wishing she were there right now. That’s about as much as I can say right now without getting much into the plot, which, to be honest, is still skeletal in my mind.
But like the tracks on The Thirteenth Hour soundtrack, Long Ago Not So Far Away, it’s an 80s throwback done with a synthesizer backing track. And in this week’s episode, I’m trying to create that track and was recording in real time. In the background, I’m singing the lyrics softly to myself, but that will be for a different episode, since this episode is really just focused on the instrumental part. I tried to edit out most the retakes and curse words. I think you probably already know that making a song is a lot of work, sometimes a process of trial and error, so no need to belabor that point. At the end, you can hear the final instrumental result. The final result with vocals should be available in a few weeks on Bandcamp.
Thanks for listening!
- Signup for the mailing list for a free special edition podcast, a demo copy of The Thirteenth Hour, and access to retro 80s soundtrack!
- Follow The Thirteenth Hour’s instagram pages: @the13thhr firstname.lastname@example.org for your random postings on ninjas, martial arts, archery, flips, breakdancing, fantasy art, 80s music, movies, and pictures or songs from The Thirteenth Hour books.
- Listen to Long Ago Not So Far Away, the Thirteenth Hour soundtrack online at: https://joshuablum.bandcamp.com/ Join the mailing list for a digital free copy. You can also get it on CD or tape.
- Website: https://13thhr.wordpress.com
- Book trailer: http://bit.ly/1VhJhXY
- Interested in reading and reviewing The Thirteenth Hour for a free book? Just email me at email@example.com for more details!