Episode #74: Reflections on 80s Stuff: Dungeons and Dragons, Choose Your Adventure Books, and Movies
We talk sci-fi and fantasy movies from the 80s this episode …
My brother, who you may remember as my first phone guest in Episode #30, recently visited for the holidays. We did an in studio recording while trying to paint little plastic miniatures for the sequel to The Thirteenth Hour while discussing 80s movies and games we’d both enjoyed as kids. We took the opportunity to rewatch a few, including Willow and The Last Starfighter, and I recently rewatched E.T., so those adult reflections on beloved children’s impressions formed a core of this episode. Here are some of the films we touch on:
-The Last Starfighter
-The Dark Crystal
-Flight of the Navigator …
Since it’s quite long, I’ve broken the talk into two segments. The last segment, which also talks a little on video games, will come out next week.
While we are having this conversation, We were trying to paint little miniatures from Hero Forge, a site that allows you to create more or less custom miniatures (I made Logan and Aurora for the sequel to The Thirteenth Hour). We had no idea what we were doing, really, though I got a lot of good tips from Mhawkinsart and Knives_mcdougal on Instagram. We did our best, but since it was basically our first time doing, some parts were pretty shite, and the faces came out pretty dysmorphic. So I’ll post those later. But Jeremy made this picture of our initial attempt:
Happy New Year, and thanks for listening!
- Signup for the mailing list for a free special edition podcast, a demo copy of The Thirteenth Hour, and access to retro 80s soundtrack!
- Follow The Thirteenth Hour’s instagram pages: @the13thhr firstname.lastname@example.org for your random postings on ninjas, martial arts, archery, flips, breakdancing, fantasy art, 80s music, movies, and pictures or songs from The Thirteenth Hour books.
- Listen to Long Ago Not So Far Away, the Thirteenth Hour soundtrack online at: https://joshuablum.bandcamp.com/ Join the mailing list for a digital free copy. You can also get it on CD or tape.
- Website: https://13thhr.wordpress.com
- Book trailer: http://bit.ly/1VhJhXY
- Interested in reading and reviewing The Thirteenth Hour for a free book? Just email me at email@example.com for more details!