Episode #75: Reflections on 80s Stuff Part 2: Video Games, Miniatures, and More Movies
We talk more sci-fi and fantasy movies from the 80s this episode … like this one:
My brother, who you may remember as my first phone guest in Episode #30, recently visited for the holidays. We did an in studio recording while trying to paint little plastic miniatures for the sequel to The Thirteenth Hour while discussing 80s movies and games we’d both enjoyed as kids. This is part 2. You can find part 1 here. We continue reflecting on 80s films in this episode and touch on a few favorite video games from the 8 bit era as well.
Here are some of the movies and games we talk about:
-Legend (see the Tom Cruise running clip here)
-Highlander: The Animated Series (you can watch the series on youtube)
-Earth to Echo (a modern homage to E.T.)
-The Iron Giant (80s in nature)
-The Back to the Future trilogy
-Howard the Duck (here are some clips set to music from the movie with vocals by Lea Thompson and appearances by Jeffrey Jones and Tim Robbins – Don’t Turn Away and the ending song where Howard pulls some Marty McFly guitar riffs onstage).
-Quest for Glory
As I mentioned last week, while were having this conversation, we were trying to paint little miniatures from Hero Forge, a site that allows you to create more or less custom miniatures (I made Logan and Aurora for the sequel to The Thirteenth Hour). We had no idea what we were doing, really, though I got a lot of good tips from Mhawkinsart and Knives_mcdougal on Instagram. Here are some pics of the process:
It was messy …
My first attempt at painting Aurora … She kind of reminds me of an amphibian here.
Doing the faces was really hard …
Yup … none of these guys are going to win beauty awards … not that appearances are everything …
My second attempt at doing Logan – now he looks like a burn victim.
The final attempt – now Logan looks like Mickey Mouse! But I’ve lost patience to it again …
…but Aurora I think looks a bit better … the whole process of painting these little guys reminds me of soldering electronics (never was great at that) or trying to pipet things in a lab (bad memories from college), but it was cool to see the final effect. There’s one more figured to go … you’ll see periodic updates on Instagram.
You can follow Jeremy on Twitter and Instagram as well to get real-time updates and his unique insights into games and how we play them. He’s written a number of insightful articles on his Tumblr blog. Here are some representative articles on the Lone Wolf game books and Quest for Glory (also here).
Happy New Year, and thanks for listening!
- Signup for the mailing list for a free special edition podcast, a demo copy of The Thirteenth Hour, and access to retro 80s soundtrack!
- Follow The Thirteenth Hour’s instagram pages: @the13thhr email@example.com for your random postings on ninjas, martial arts, archery, flips, breakdancing, fantasy art, 80s music, movies, and pictures or songs from The Thirteenth Hour books.
- Listen to Long Ago Not So Far Away, the Thirteenth Hour soundtrack online at: https://joshuablum.bandcamp.com/ Join the mailing list for a digital free copy. You can also get it on CD or tape.
- Website: https://13thhr.wordpress.com
- Book trailer: http://bit.ly/1VhJhXY
- Interested in reading and reviewing The Thirteenth Hour for a free book? Just email me at firstname.lastname@example.org for more details!