Episode #79: Storytime Reading of Firebird and Taijutsu Shoveling
Since this week’s episode takes place in Russia, where snow is not uncommon, part of it was recorded outside, where there was a lot of snow. Since I had my daughter strapped to my back, I could adopt my usual hamfisted approach to shoveling snow (which, to be fair, is a whole body workout). So instead, I decided to try of a variant of the ninja sweeping method I talked about a few weeks ago. I’m calling it ninja snow shoveling:
You basically just shift your hips forward and back to load up some snow (steps 2 and 3). To dump it (step 4), you lean forward, quickly shoot out the shovel like a pool cue while giving it a simultaneous turn so the snow flops over onto the ground (or wherever you want to put it). There’s some arm action, but not much, and your back and shoulders stay pretty much neutral. Result? A ton easier!
Anyway, that doesn’t much to do with today’s episodes, which is a version of the folktale, The Firebird. However, back in episode 61, I talked about the video game The Last Express, which has the tale of The Firebird woven into its plot.
This is a children’s book version of the ballet version.
As always, thanks for listening!
- Signup for the mailing list for a free special edition podcast, a demo copy of The Thirteenth Hour, and access to retro 80s soundtrack!
- Follow The Thirteenth Hour’s instagram pages: @the13thhr firstname.lastname@example.org for your random postings on ninjas, martial arts, archery, flips, breakdancing, fantasy art, 80s music, movies, and pictures or songs from The Thirteenth Hour books.
- Listen to Long Ago Not So Far Away, the Thirteenth Hour soundtrack online at: https://joshuablum.bandcamp.com/ Join the mailing list for a digital free copy. You can also get it on CD or tape.
- Website: https://13thhr.wordpress.com
- Book trailer: http://bit.ly/1VhJhXY
- Interested in reading and reviewing The Thirteenth Hour for a free book? Just email me at email@example.com for more details!