Episode #96: Zen Visualization for Healing and Learning + New Synth Track Preview
Today’s podcast about focusing the power of the mind to help heal injuries goes out to Ryan, a friend of mine who sustained an unexpected injury. Hope it helps (at the very least, it can’t hurt!) Get well soon!
Click on the picture of the book above to find a copy of your own.
If you’re at all interested in martial arts or philosophy (or both), I’d highly recommend reading it. I first read it when I was introduced to martial arts at age 13. There was a lot I didn’t understand or only understood partially at the time but have found that with each re-reading, I take away a new lesson.
The chapter I’m reading from today is about using positive visualization to make changes in your life: i.e. not letting negative thinking get the better of you, maintaining a positive outlook while injured, or learning something new. It’s important to remember that before our bodies can do something, our brains must plan it out first. It may happen unconsciously, but the body does do what the brain sees first! Sounds simple (and it is – though that does not necessarily mean easy), but that’s zen for you.
In case you don’t have access to the book, here are a few snippets from the chapter:
The version of the book I have has black and white photographs accompanying the chapters. For this chapter, there’s a flame, probably to accompany Bruce Lee’s idea of imagining negative thoughts burning up in his mind.
And since today was all about fire and focus, we’ll end with the first half of a new song I’ll be releasing in the next few weeks called “Ember.” I wrote it years ago and have been trying to rework it into a synthesizer track for the sequel to Long Ago Not So Far Away (which, coincidentally, you can now find for streaming off Spotify). It’s been a slow going process (as these things often are), but so far, I’m pretty happy with the way it’s been going. It’s about growing up, which involves a certain amount of questioning who you are and what you believe. But it’s also about believing in yourself and not losing the fire that drives your passion. In the words of Mr. Miyagi (Karate Kid 3), “Daniel-san, focus! … Best karate still inside!”
Join the mailing list for an upcoming EP with “Ember” and number of new tracks!
As always, thanks for listening!
- Signup for the mailing list for a free special edition podcast, a demo copy of The Thirteenth Hour, and access to retro 80s soundtrack!
- Follow The Thirteenth Hour’s instagram pages: @the13thhr email@example.com for your random postings on ninjas, martial arts, archery, flips, breakdancing, fantasy art, 80s music, movies, and pictures or songs from The Thirteenth Hour books.
- Listen to Long Ago Not So Far Away, the Thirteenth Hour soundtrack online at: https://joshuablum.bandcamp.com/ Join the mailing list for a digital free copy. You can also get it on CD or tape.
- Website: https://13thhr.wordpress.com
- Book trailer: http://bit.ly/1VhJhXY
- Interested in reading and reviewing The Thirteenth Hour for a free book? Just email me at firstname.lastname@example.org for more details!