Episode #123: A Conversation with Dev9k Game Developers – Creators of Nirvana Pilot Yume
My brother and I recently connected with European game developer team Dev9k (Massimiliano ‘Haematinon’ Nigro and Antonio Scacchetti), the creators of the recently released 80s anime inspired video game, Nirvana Pilot Yume, which answers the question – what happened if the 90s shareware game Skyroads were a visual novel with a synthwave soundtrack?
Given the misadventures my brother and I had making games in our youth, we were both looking forward to the conversation with Massimiliano and Antionio. We covered a wide range of topics, from the creative process, aspects of game development, working within technical limitations of technology (and how that sometimes fosters more creativity), and 80s era Japanimation – case in point below:
Check out the synthwave group Retroxx, who did the soundtrack for the game, for more synth action. And if you don’t recall what the game Skyroads looked like, here’s a quick runthrough:
Interested in learning more? Check more about the game and its developers on IG and Facebook.
You can now find the game for the PC on Steam. Grab it while it’s still on sale! There is a demo available for webplay/download here so you can try before you buy. Even if you’re not into video games, it’s worth it just for the art, concept, and music alone. Supporting an indie game developer is also good for your karma 🙂
And if you’re at all interested in game development or collaborating on making a game out of The Thirteenth Hour, let me know! Read more here.
Next week, in time for Christmas, Brent Simon and Jeremy return to discuss the 30th anniversary of Robocop! Stay tuned!
Between Two Worlds, the synth EP follow up to Long Ago Not So Far Away is now out for streaming on Bandcamp.
The bonus track, called “Flight of the Cloudrider” has a 80s movie mashup music video (see if you can identify all the movies!) which is available on youtube. This app was largely created with the iphone app Auxy.
Stay tuned. Follow along on Spotify! There is also a growing extended Thirteenth Hour playlist on Spotify with a growing number of retro 80s songs.
As always, thanks for listening!
- Signup for the mailing list for a free special edition podcast, a demo copy of The Thirteenth Hour, and access to the retro 80s soundtrack!
- Follow The Thirteenth Hour’s Instagram pages: @the13thhr for your random postings on ninjas, martial arts, archery, flips, breakdancing, fantasy art and and @the13thhr.ost for more 80s music, movies, and songs from The Thirteenth Hour books and soundtrack.
- Listen to Long Ago Not So Far Away, the Thirteenth Hour soundtrack online at: https://joshuablum.bandcamp.com/ or Spotify. Join the mailing list for a digital free copy. You can also get it on CD or tape.
- Website: https://13thhr.wordpress.com
- Book trailer: http://bit.ly/1VhJhXY
- Interested in reading and reviewing The Thirteenth Hour for a free book? Just email me at email@example.com for more details!
One thought on “The Thirteenth Hour Podcast #123: A Conversation with Dev9k Game Developers – Creators of Nirvana Pilot Yume”