Episode #150: The Case of the Almost Assassination 10, the Campaign Finale
lf you’ve been following along here, you might be aware that my brother and I have been involved in a Dungeons and Dragons campaign that he created set in the world of The Thirteenth Hour. It’s a bit of a steampunk mystery set in a fantasy world, if you can imagine that, and it’s drawing to a climax. We recorded the last chapter in our Roll20 D and D adventure recently. This grand finale clocked in at over three hours and was the culmination of a three month campaign and over 20 hours of footage in the youtube videos of the playthroughs, which you can watch below. In this episode, our heroes solve the mystery of who nearly assassinated King Darian IV and wrap things up as best they can. There’s still some unfinished business between our hero, Lester, and the main villain of this campaign, which is sure to haunt him some time in the future. For now, though, the bad guys are behind bars, and Lester and Claudia get a short respite prior to embarking on their next case in the Aquarian countryside.
Here are links to all the episodes. Click on the pictures to be taken to the show notes, which has pictures, details about the episode, and a link to the Youtube video:
And here are the links to the grand finale! Watch the episode on youtube by clicking on the picture below. They last 20 minutes or so is also the last 20 minutes of this show, where my brother and I go behind the scenes to discuss the experience.
The big battle at the end. The grey circles represent a smokescreen that Lester shot out from his crossbow as a distraction. There is at least one scene where the words, “¿Quien es tu padre?” make a random appearance and a few other where Arnold’s line in Kindergarten Cop also make a cameo (“Who is your Daddy, and what does he do?”). Yeah, there are some Daddy issues that some of the characters have in this campaign. Nobody’s perfect!
You can see a brief preview of the next adventure at the very end.
The two main characters, Lester and Claudia, gained a lot of experience during this adventure (and found some cool gear).
By the way, this campaign references two short stories in the world of The Thirteenth Hour. King Darian (as an older, wiser man) reflects on nearly losing his head in this story:
Between Two Worlds, the synth EP follow up to Long Ago Not So Far Away is now out for streaming on Bandcamp.
The bonus track, called “Flight of the Cloudrider” has a 80s movie mashup music video (see if you can identify all the movies!) which is available on youtube. This app was largely created with the iphone app Auxy.
Stay tuned. Follow along on Spotify! There is also a growing extended Thirteenth Hour playlist on Spotify with a growing number of retro 80s songs.
As always, thanks for listening!
- Signup for the mailing list for a free special edition podcast, a demo copy of The Thirteenth Hour, and access to retro 80s soundtrack!
- Have this podcast conveniently delivered to you each week on iTunes, Stitcher, Player FM, Tunein, and Googleplay Music.
- Follow The Thirteenth Hour’s Instagram pages: @the13thhr for your random postings on ninjas, martial arts, archery, flips, breakdancing, fantasy art and and @the13thhr.ost for more 80s music, movies, and songs from The Thirteenth Hour books and soundtrack.
- Listen to Long Ago Not So Far Away, the Thirteenth Hour soundtrack online at: https://joshuablum.bandcamp.com/ or Spotify. Join the mailing list for a digital free copy. You can also get it on CD or tape.
- Website: https://13thhr.wordpress.com
- Book trailer: http://bit.ly/1VhJhXY
- Interested in reading and reviewing The Thirteenth Hour for a free book? Just email me at email@example.com for more details!