Episode #152: Reflections on Watching The Karate Kid Part 1
My town recently had a showing of the 1984 film, The Karate Kid. Having not seen the movie in about 20 years, I was curious how it would hold up. There is a great Sports Illustrated article that gets many of the original cast and crew members together to talk about their experiences making a movie and reflections decades later. It encapsulates a lot of what is referenced in this particular podcast episode – mainly that there were many things included in the film that never occurred to me as an eight-year-old first watching the film. There’s less black-and-white duality in the characters, for example. Daniel seems a little less good, Johnny seems a little less bad, Mr. Miyagi seems a less less all-knowing. Everyone, in other words, feels a bit more human. And perhaps that’s the way it should be, since it isn’t really a movie about martial arts at its core. Next week, on to Karate Kid 2 (which, in some ways, I liked more than the first one. Though that, too, was an adult development).
Between Two Worlds, the synth EP follow up to Long Ago Not So Far Away is now out for streaming on Bandcamp.
The bonus track, called “Flight of the Cloudrider” has a 80s movie mashup music video (see if you can identify all the movies!) which is available on youtube. This app was largely created with the iphone app Auxy.
Stay tuned. Follow along on Spotify! There is also a growing extended Thirteenth Hourplaylist on Spotify with a growing number of retro 80s songs.
As always, thanks for listening!
- Signup for the mailing list for a free special edition podcast, a demo copy of The Thirteenth Hour, and access to retro 80s soundtrack!
- Have this podcast conveniently delivered to you each week on iTunes, Stitcher, Player FM, Tunein, and Googleplay Music.
- Follow The Thirteenth Hour’s Instagram pages: @the13thhr for your random postings on ninjas, martial arts, archery, flips, breakdancing, fantasy art and and @the13thhr.ost for more 80s music, movies, and songs from The Thirteenth Hour books and soundtrack.
- Listen to Long Ago Not So Far Away, the Thirteenth Hour soundtrack online at: https://joshuablum.bandcamp.com/ or Spotify. Join the mailing list for a digital free copy. You can also get it on CD or tape.
- Website: https://13thhr.wordpress.com
- Book trailer: http://bit.ly/1VhJhXY
- Interested in reading and reviewing The Thirteenth Hour for a free book? Just email me at firstname.lastname@example.org for more details!