Episode #157: Fairy Tale Reading – East of the Sun West of the Moon 2
Like last week, this week, we’re reading a reworked version of the traditional Nordic fairy tale, “East of the Sun, West of the Moon.” This week’s version is retold and illustrated by Mercer Mayer. This one has some traditional tale elements like the heroine’s journey and an ode to “The Frog Prince” as well as some updates that add a bit more depth and autonomy to the heroine. Below are some of the wonderfully detailed paintings that adorn each page:
This tale features the heroine going to different parts of the world to get information to accomplish the next leg of her journey. Each segment is represented by a different element (Earth, Wind, Water, Fire). Because of these two similarities to the story structure of The Thirteenth Hour, I’m guessing it must have been an influence in the creation of the story, though I don’t outwardly recall doing that consciously. However, I do remember liking both this version of the fairy tale as well as last week’s as a kid, so it might have been an unconscious influence.
Between Two Worlds, the synth EP follow up to Long Ago Not So Far Away is now out for streaming on Bandcamp.
The bonus track, called “Flight of the Cloudrider” has a 80s movie mashup music video (see if you can identify all the movies!) which is available on youtube. This app was largely created with the iphone app Auxy.
Stay tuned. Follow along on Spotify! There is also a growing extended Thirteenth Hourplaylist on Spotify with a growing number of retro 80s songs.
As always, thanks for listening!
- Signup for the mailing list for a free special edition podcast, a demo copy of The Thirteenth Hour, and access to retro 80s soundtrack!
- Have this podcast conveniently delivered to you each week on iTunes, Stitcher, Player FM, Tunein, and Googleplay Music.
- Follow The Thirteenth Hour’s Instagram pages: @the13thhr for your random postings on ninjas, martial arts, archery, flips, breakdancing, fantasy art and and @the13thhr.ost for more 80s music, movies, and songs from The Thirteenth Hour books and soundtrack.
- Listen to Long Ago Not So Far Away, the Thirteenth Hour soundtrack online at: https://joshuablum.bandcamp.com/ or Spotify. Join the mailing list for a digital free copy. You can also get it on CD or tape.
- Website: https://13thhr.wordpress.com
- Book trailer: http://bit.ly/1VhJhXY
- Interested in reading and reviewing The Thirteenth Hour for a free book? Just email me at email@example.com for more details!