Episode #161: Summer Schwarzenegger Series 3: Reflections on Rewatching Commando (1985) with Adam from @mom_gave_them_away
This week marks the third in a four-part summer Arnold Schwarzenegger 80s action fest where Adam from the Instagram page @mom_gave_them_away and I rewatch four classic Arnold movies we originally saw as kids and discuss our reflections (listen to last week’s show here). Today, continue where we left off last week with Commando. Released only a year after The Terminator, this one is an entirely different kind of movie. There are even touches of comedy, and Arnold even says, “I’ll be back.” Enjoy a little collection of animated gifs from the film:
The podcast now has a page on Facebook, so head over there and to Instagram to check out some scenes from the film. And if you’re wondering what song is playing over the ending credits of the film (the one we used for Adams’s theme song), it’s this one:
One of my favorites I’ll link to here. To end on a humorous note, despite the fact that these movies had a degree of badassery that no one could deny, the video games that came out in association with them with pretty horrendous. But I’ll let the AVGN do the honors:
This arcade and NES game wasn’t related, but it was better than an of the official sanctioned products and was around at the same time:
Adam will BE BACK next week for Predator. In the meantime, check out all the excellent custom action figure work he does for a taste of some truly heroic work.
Between Two Worlds, the synth EP follow up to Long Ago Not So Far Away is now out for streaming on Bandcamp.
The bonus track, called “Flight of the Cloudrider” has a 80s movie mashup music video (see if you can identify all the movies!) which is available on youtube. This app was largely created with the iphone app Auxy.
Stay tuned. Follow along on Spotify! There is also a growing extended Thirteenth Hourplaylist on Spotify with a growing number of retro 80s songs.
As always, thanks for listening!
- Signup for the mailing list for a free special edition podcast, a demo copy of The Thirteenth Hour, and access to retro 80s soundtrack!
- Have this podcast conveniently delivered to you each week on iTunes, Stitcher, Player FM, Tunein, and Googleplay Music.
- Follow The Thirteenth Hour’s Instagram pages: @the13thhr for your random postings on ninjas, martial arts, archery, flips, breakdancing, fantasy art and and @the13thhr.ost for more 80s music, movies, and songs from The Thirteenth Hour books and soundtrack.
- Listen to Long Ago Not So Far Away, the Thirteenth Hour soundtrack online at: https://joshuablum.bandcamp.com/ or Spotify. Join the mailing list for a digital free copy. You can also get it on CD or tape.
- Website: https://13thhr.wordpress.com
- Book trailer: http://bit.ly/1VhJhXY
- Interested in reading and reviewing The Thirteenth Hour for a free book? Just email me at firstname.lastname@example.org for more details!