Episode #176: Jeff Finley Returns to Discuss the Making of “Arcade Days” – a Synth Tribute to 80s Video Games
Way back in episode 101 and 102, writer and musician Jeff Finley came on the show, and today he returns to discuss a project we’ve been engaged in for the past year. It all started sometime after we last talked – when he, Brent Simon, and I decided to work on a music project together (see Episodes 109, 110, and 111 for Brent’s interviews on this show). Brent had sent us a bunch of old unfinished tracks, and we eventually took ideas he had started and created a song inspired by a few of the demo tracks. This podcast episode is mostly about that process, as well as the creation of the music video that accompanies the track. Both will be released 1/1/19 on Jeff’s Starbound Renegade profile (see links below). We also touch on a number of other topics besides music and the creative process, including the state of social media and finding oneself.
- Amazon author page
- Soundcloud (as Starbound Renegade)
- Spotify (as Starbound Renegade)
Here are some of the pictures making up the pixelart music video accompanying the song. Making these pictures actually turned out to be a lot of fun! I was influenced by a number of 80s films and cartoons, like The Last Starfighter, Voltron, and Robotech (more below in the credits section).
Between Two Worlds, the synth EP follow up to Long Ago Not So Far Away is now out for streaming on Bandcamp.
The bonus track, called “Flight of the Cloudrider” has a 80s movie mashup music video (see if you can identify all the movies!) which is available on youtube. This app was largely created with the iphone app Auxy.
Stay tuned. Follow along on Spotify! There is also a growing extended Thirteenth Hour playlist on Spotify with a growing number of retro 80s songs.
As always, thanks for listening!
- Signup for the mailing list for a free special edition podcast, a demo copy of The Thirteenth Hour, and access to retro 80s soundtrack!
- Have this podcast conveniently delivered to you each week on iTunes, Stitcher, Player FM, Tunein, and Googleplay Music.
- Follow The Thirteenth Hour’s Instagram pages: @the13thhr for your random postings on ninjas, martial arts, archery, flips, breakdancing, fantasy art and and @the13thhr.ost for more 80s music, movies, and songs from The Thirteenth Hour books and soundtrack.
- Listen to Long Ago Not So Far Away, the Thirteenth Hour soundtrack online at: https://joshuablum.bandcamp.com/ or Spotify. Join the mailing list for a digital free copy. You can also get it on CD or tape.
- Website: https://13thhr.wordpress.com
- Book trailer: http://bit.ly/1VhJhXY
- Interested in reading and reviewing The Thirteenth Hour for a free book? Just email me at email@example.com for more details!