Episode #186: Musical Interlude – Making “Memories of a Better Time” Part 2
This week, I’m working on the last music track to accompany The Thirteenth Hour novella, Empty Hands, an introspective instrumental piece called “Memories of a Better Time,” which harkens to the love theme we made back in episode #120. It fits in with a piece of the novella where the main character, Logan, is thinking back to his childhood friend, Aurora. It also has some similarities to the track “Empty Hands,” also for the novella, which we did in episode 175 and the same descending note progression that we used there as well as in the song “There’s a Wild Heart Beating.” Today, we are making the backing tack and attempting to add the flute section.
The novella the song will be embedded in is basically done in terms of its initial skeleton, though I’m putting the final edits on the first draft. The second draft is typically where I send portions out to other people for critique, so if you’d like to be a part of that, I’ll be sending out an email to the advance readers group on the mailing list (link below) soon. Much appreciated!
Speaking of music, if you haven’t checked out “Arcade Days,” the song and video Jeff Finley, Brent Simon, and I have been working on the past year, click on the link below to do so!
Between Two Worlds, the synth EP follow up to Long Ago Not So Far Away is now out for streaming on Bandcamp.
The bonus track, called “Flight of the Cloudrider” has a 80s movie mashup music video (see if you can identify all the movies!) which is available on youtube. This app was largely created with the iphone app Auxy.
Stay tuned. Follow along on Spotify! There is also a growing extended Thirteenth Hour playlist on Spotify with a growing number of retro 80s songs.
As always, thanks for listening!
- Signup for the mailing list for a free special edition podcast, a demo copy of The Thirteenth Hour, and access to retro 80s soundtrack!
- Have this podcast conveniently delivered to you each week on Spotify, iTunes, Stitcher, Player FM, Tunein, and Googleplay Music.
- Follow The Thirteenth Hour’s Instagram pages: @the13thhr for your random postings on ninjas, martial arts, archery, flips, breakdancing, fantasy art and and @the13thhr.ost for more 80s music, movies, and songs from The Thirteenth Hour books and soundtrack.
- Listen to Long Ago Not So Far Away, the Thirteenth Hour soundtrack online at: https://joshuablum.bandcamp.com/ or Spotify. Join the mailing list for a digital free copy. You can also get it on CD or tape.
- Website: https://13thhr.wordpress.com
- Book trailer: http://bit.ly/1VhJhXY
- Interested in reading and reviewing The Thirteenth Hour for a free book? Just email me at firstname.lastname@example.org for more details!