The Thirteenth Hour Podcast #336 and Like a Hood Ornament #42: Toymaking Updates, Dave Stevens Fundraising Update, Rocketeer Cards, and Working on the Backing Tracking of a New Song
In the first part of this show, I share a bit about a new song I’ve been working on for the upcoming Thirteenth Hour soundtrack LP, Once Upon a Dream. It’s called “No Hero.” I’m currently working on cleaning up the keyboard riff in the background since I’m old school and have to learn to play everything first before I can record it. One of these days, I’m going to have to go digital!
This past week, I’ve been working on putting the Thirteenth Hour action figures together. So far, here’s what they look like:
Logan and Aurora …
I still have a few to fix / assemble. The ones in the center right are the original prototypes that I made the molds from, and I think I’ll go ahead and paint them as well also. Here are all the pieces and figures along with clear coated parts from the Lego minifigure Rocketeers I’ve been working on. These pieces, when done, will be auctioned off, with all funds collected donated to The Hairy Cell Leukemia Foundation (the complications of which took Dave Stevens from us) and Hero Initiative, which supports comic book artists.
Speaking of the Rocketeer, my brother gave me some vintage Rocketeer cards recently, which I’ve been slowly opening up. Here’s the next batch:
On the back, there is an ad for this souvenir magazine …
Inside, coincidentally, there’s an ad for the cards:
I recently discovered that the game Microsoft Flight Simulator X has a skin for the Gee Bee that is the same as the NR77V Gee Bee highlighted in the film (the one that crashes in the first few minutes of the film), which is the one that Dave Stevens showed in the comics (itself modeled after the City of Springfield model that crashed in the early 30s … though presumably, Cliff and Peevy found the remains and built it into the Gee Bee that was used the comics and the film). Nonetheless, check out these graphics! I know nothing about this sort of thing but next time this baby goes on sale …
Lastly, if you have questions for the show, 1/31/22 will have a listener Q and A segment. Thanks to all who submitted questions already! Get your questions in by 1/24/22 for inclusion in this month’s show! Email or anywhere on social is fine.
Thanks for listening!
This winter, if you’re looking for an adult of child mask, check out Thirteenth Hour mask combo package on Etsy. This fall, it became really hard to find good quality masks for our kids as they were going back to school. There are still long wait times for some of the companies we like best, so I thought, why not try to find an alternative? I eventually settled on the triple layer masks available for printing on by the company Flashbay. They were one of the few companies I found that were transparent about their third party safety data (Junior: https://static.flashbay.com/images/certificates/Junior_REACH.pdf?v=1617870020, Adult: https://static.flashbay.com/images/certificates/Sky_Performance.pdf?v=1603078812) which is nice. I was impressed by how well these masks performed on the filtration tests, even after repeat washings. Also, I really liked how both the ears and nose piece could be adjusted for a good fit.
The Thirteenth Hour mask combo also comes with Thirteenth Hour hand sanitizer! (But of course.)
There are now Thirteenth Hour toys! If you’d like to pick up one of these glow in the dark figures for yourself, feel free to email me or go to the Etsy store I set up (https://www.etsy.com/shop/ThirteenthHourStudio) and get them there.
If the past few months have got you needing a break, you may want to chill out to this 80s synth throwback track for a upcoming LP with the accompanying music video:
Empty Hands, the synth EP soundtrack to the novella, Empty Hands, is now out for streaming on Bandcamp.
Stay tuned. Follow along on Spotify! There is also a growing extended Thirteenth Hour playlist on Spotify with a growing number of retro 80s songs.
As always, thanks for listening!
- Signup for the mailing list for a free special edition podcast, a demo copy of The Thirteenth Hour, and access to retro 80s soundtrack!
- Like what you see or hear? Consider supporting the show over at Thirteenth Hour Arts on Patreon or adding to my virtual tip jar over at Ko-fi.
- Join the Thirteenth Hour Arts Group over on Facebook, a growing community of creative people.
- Have this podcast conveniently delivered to you each week on Spotify, iTunes, Stitcher, Player FM, Tunein, and Googleplay Music.
- Follow The Thirteenth Hour’s Instagram pages: @the13thhr for your random postings on ninjas, martial arts, archery, flips, breakdancing, fantasy art and and @the13thhr.ost for more 80s music, movies, and songs from The Thirteenth Hour books and soundtrack.
- Listen to Long Ago Not So Far Away, the Thirteenth Hour soundtrack online at: https://joshuablum.bandcamp.com/ or Spotify. Join the mailing list for a digital free copy. You can also get it on CD or tape.
- Website: https://13thhr.wordpress.com
- Book trailer: http://bit.ly/1VhJhXY
- Interested in reading and reviewing The Thirteenth Hour for a free book? Just email me at email@example.com for more details!