Episode #105: Author and Illustrator Missy Sheldrake Interview #2 Part 2 of 2
Today, fantasy author Missy Sheldrake returns in part 2 of her interview as we catch up on all the things she’s been up to this past year (find her first interview here).
We spend the first part of this episode talking about podcasting, which Missy was thinking about doing. Indie author Angela Chrysler (who came on the show back on episode #35) has been doing a youtube storytime reading series. Putting shows on youtube would probably be one of the easiest way to put out a podcast. If you are interested in learning more, here is also a quick start guide on producing a podcast quickly and without spending a lot of money that I put together here.
We also talked about making the transition to doing live events and a recent cover commission Missy did for one of her fellow authors, Christina McMullen. There is a time lapse video of how she created the picture here.
We talk about our fantasy art influences and bemoan the loss of old-school hand painted covers in favor of the emphasis on hyper realistic, photorealistic digital photo covers that all end up looking the same.
Case in point/aside – take this movie poster/cover for the 80s scifi movie Solarbabies and a more generic photo cover to the right:
Anyway … follow Missy on Instagram gallery for more pictures and updates on her illustrations. I’m sure we’ll see more as she works on her fifth book in her Keeper of the Wellspring series.
There’s also a fun little easter egg for those who stick around until the end of this episode!
Click on the banner below to learn more about the series on Amazon. If you haven’t read them yet, Missy let me know that this week, on 8/16/17, the first book, Call of Kythshire, is free, so take the chance to grab a copy!
Thanks again, Missy, for coming on the show, and good luck writing book #5!
The bonus track, called “Flight of the Cloudrider” has a 80s movie mashup music video (see if you can identify all the movies!) which is available on youtube. This app was largely created with the iphone app Auxy.
Stay tuned. Follow along on Spotify! There is also a growing extended Thirteenth Hour playlist on Spotify with a growing number of retro 80s songs and movie soundtracks from that era.
As always, thanks for listening!
- Signup for the mailing list for a free special edition podcast, a demo copy of The Thirteenth Hour, and access to retro 80s soundtrack!
- Follow The Thirteenth Hour’s Instagram pages: @the13thhr for your random postings on ninjas, martial arts, archery, flips, breakdancing, fantasy art and and @the13thhr.ost for more 80s music, movies, and songs from The Thirteenth Hour books and soundtrack.
- Listen to Long Ago Not So Far Away, the Thirteenth Hour soundtrack online at: https://joshuablum.bandcamp.com/ or Spotify. Join the mailing list for a digital free copy. You can also get it on CD or tape.
- Website: https://13thhr.wordpress.com
- Book trailer: http://bit.ly/1VhJhXY
- Interested in reading and reviewing The Thirteenth Hour for a free book? Just email me at email@example.com for more details!