The Thirteenth Hour Podcast #298: Welcome Game Creators Paul Korman and Ric Highbury, of The Phantom Fellows
This week, Paul Korman and Ric Highbury from the Classic Gamers Guild Facebook Group and Classic Gamers Guild Podcast join my brother, Jeremy, and I to talk about a point and click pixelart adventure game they are making coming out next year. We had a great conversation about a number of wide reaching topics related to game design – story creation, influences, pixelart, art, music scores, and more. They sent me an advance version of the demo (which is coming out this week), and it was great fun – a throwback to some of the adventure games we played as a kid. Here are a few screenshots:
If you’d like to learn more about The Phantom Fellows, check out the following:
If you’d like to learn more about The Classic Gamers Guild, check out the following:
Paul does the intro and outro music to the CGG podcast, by the way. Listen to more of Paul’s music on Bandcamp. Read more of Jeremy’s thoughts on games on Tumblr. And if you have a desire to experiment with game making and introduce game making to children, check out Pixicade.
The built in physics with it allow you to make some fun and surprisingly advanced games. I made a Thirteenth Hour archery game with it. The set has you make everything with makers (different colors for different game mechanics), though can also do it on the computer and print it out in color. I made the archery game with pixels. You can play it here.
If you still have a cassette player, take advantage of the following deal and be transported to another world! SALE! While supplies last, grab Long Ago Not So Far Away on cassette! Just $1/tape!
There are now Thirteenth Hour toys! If you’d like to pick up one of these glow in the dark figures for yourself, feel free to email me or go to the Etsy store I set up (https://www.etsy.com/shop/ThirteenthHourStudio) and get them there.
If the past few months have got you needing a break, you may want to chill out to this 80s synth throwback track for a upcoming LP with the accompanying music video:
Empty Hands, the synth EP soundtrack to the novella, Empty Hands, is now out for streaming on Bandcamp.
Stay tuned. Follow along on Spotify! There is also a growing extended Thirteenth Hour playlist on Spotify with a growing number of retro 80s songs.
As always, thanks for listening!
- Signup for the mailing list for a free special edition podcast, a demo copy of The Thirteenth Hour, and access to retro 80s soundtrack!
- Like what you see or hear? Consider supporting the show over at Thirteenth Hour Arts on Patreon or adding to my virtual tip jar over at Ko-fi.
- Join the Thirteenth Hour Arts Group over on Facebook, a growing community of creative people.
- Have this podcast conveniently delivered to you each week on Spotify, iTunes, Stitcher, Player FM, Tunein, and Googleplay Music.
- Follow The Thirteenth Hour’s Instagram pages: @the13thhr for your random postings on ninjas, martial arts, archery, flips, breakdancing, fantasy art and and @the13thhr.ost for more 80s music, movies, and songs from The Thirteenth Hour books and soundtrack.
- Listen to Long Ago Not So Far Away, the Thirteenth Hour soundtrack online at: https://joshuablum.bandcamp.com/ or Spotify. Join the mailing list for a digital free copy. You can also get it on CD or tape.
- Website: https://13thhr.wordpress.com
- Book trailer: http://bit.ly/1VhJhXY
- Interested in reading and reviewing The Thirteenth Hour for a free book? Just email me at firstname.lastname@example.org for more details!