Episode #179: Reflections on Childhood Video Games Part 1
My brother joins me on this trip into the past as we look at some of the computer games we grew up with. I’ve written and talked about this before but have been meaning to have a longer discussion with my brother for a long time. We touched on a number of things that I hadn’t thought of in awhile, like some classic adventures games like the King’s Quest series. Here are a few screenshots I found from the game, King’s Quest 6, the first one we were able to play through fully, and the one we remembered most fondly. My brother and I distinctly recall being blown away by the graphics at the time:
King’s Quest 6 had a full CD-quality ballad on the disc that played during the ending credits, “Girl in the Tower,” a very 80s/90s love ballad with verses done in piano, an electric guitar solo, sappy lyrics (in other words, all the qualities for a stellar song in my mind). If you click on the picture above, you can listen to the whole song with scenes compiled from KQ5 and KQ6. Apparently, the song was reused in parts of updated King’s Quest adventures:
The final fight Alexander has in King’s Quest 6. I distinctly recall at one point when he gets tired, he says something like, “Zounds, this sword weighs a ton!”
Some pictures associated from other games mentioned in the episode that I photographed from old Nintendo Power issues and box cover art.
If you haven’t checked out “Arcade Days,” the song and video Jeff Finley, Brent Simon, and I have been working on the past year, click on the link below to do so!
Lastly, the podcast is now on Spotify! Check it out.
Between Two Worlds, the synth EP follow up to Long Ago Not So Far Away is now out for streaming on Bandcamp.
The bonus track, called “Flight of the Cloudrider” has a 80s movie mashup music video (see if you can identify all the movies!) which is available on youtube. This app was largely created with the iphone app Auxy.
Stay tuned. Follow along on Spotify! There is also a growing extended Thirteenth Hour playlist on Spotify with a growing number of retro 80s songs.
As always, thanks for listening!
- Signup for the mailing list for a free special edition podcast, a demo copy of The Thirteenth Hour, and access to retro 80s soundtrack!
- Have this podcast conveniently delivered to you each week on iTunes, Stitcher, Player FM, Tunein, and Googleplay Music.
- Follow The Thirteenth Hour’s Instagram pages: @the13thhr for your random postings on ninjas, martial arts, archery, flips, breakdancing, fantasy art and and @the13thhr.ost for more 80s music, movies, and songs from The Thirteenth Hour books and soundtrack.
- Listen to Long Ago Not So Far Away, the Thirteenth Hour soundtrack online at: https://joshuablum.bandcamp.com/ or Spotify. Join the mailing list for a digital free copy. You can also get it on CD or tape.
- Website: https://13thhr.wordpress.com
- Book trailer: http://bit.ly/1VhJhXY
- Interested in reading and reviewing The Thirteenth Hour for a free book? Just email me at firstname.lastname@example.org for more details!